I forgot to shoot a picture of this recipe before gobbling it up! You'll just have to trust me. It's amazing! And, I also forgot to time the recipe. I'll be adding both parts next time I make this dish.
Ilissa's Mexi Chicken Casserole
Family sized - Serves 6 large portions. For a complete meal, pair with a fresh salad.
• 3 teaspoons chili powder
• 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or approximately 4 cloves minced)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional depending on your taste)
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1/3 of a large organic green pepper, diced
• 1.5 cups organic white long grain rice (not instant)
• 2.75 cups water
• 3 free range boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
• 1 cup of organic corn (frozen or canned)
• 1.5 cups of shredded marble cheese (divided in half)
• 2/3 cup crushed organic corn tortilla chips (divided in half)
• 1.5 cups of your favourite organic salsa
• Optional: sour cream, green onions, or guacamole
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine water, rice, green pepper, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, sea salt, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne. Stir well. Cook according to the instructions indicated on the rice package.
3. In the meantime, cut chicken thighs into cubed pieces and fry over medium heat until fully cooked.
4. In a bowl, mix together: all of the ingredients, ensuring to use only 1/2 the total amount of cheese and corn chips (3/4 cup of cheese, and 1/3 cup of crushed corn chips).
5. Spread mixture evenly in a 9x14" casserole dish.
6. Top the mixture with the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese, then 1/3 cup of crushed corn chips.
7. Cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Then, broil for 5 minutes.
8. Let the casserole cool for 10 minutes, then serve.
9. Top with your choice of sour cream, guacamole, and/or freshly sliced green onions.
In our house, we use mostly organic ingredients and like to make things from scratch (next to no processed foods!). I've included 'organic' next to the items that I like to use organic for whenever possible. To make this recipe even more exciting, try homemade corn tortilla chips, or homemade salsa and guacamole!